I don’t know about other places but in Kerala, you get something called “Gobi chilly” which is a slight dry variety to Gobi Manchurian. My dad used to get one plate of both to go with fried rice and it was a heaven made combination for a weekend dinner.
Fast forward to restaurants here in Qatar and the Gobi chilly changed to “Paneer chilly” with a paneer loving husband. I used to love the gravy they made with large cubes of onion and capsicum with a humble ketchup based sauce.
After I started trying the sauce at home, I added more veggies to it ( because that’s how I sneak veggies into everything) and hence came “Vegetable Chilly”. Now it’s become the favourite in the family and my 5 year old also loves it.
And it is so easy to make that it gets ready within few minutes. Also it is super filling that I sometimes eat it without any rice.
This time, I used the precut vegetable mix from Emborg called Garden mix which contains Broccoli, orange and red carrots with beans. It added a whole lot of flavors to the curry. Do get it if you can.
1 tbsp Oil
5 pods of Garlic, chopped
1 inch Ginger piece, finely chopped
3 Green chillies
1 large Onion, cubed
1/2 a large Capsicum, cubed
5 to 7 Babycorn, cut into small strips
1 Cup mixed vegetables ( I used the Emborg bag of precut carrots, broccoli and beans)
2 tbsp Tomato ketchup
1 tbsp Chilli sauce
1 tsp Pepper powder
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan and add ginger, garlic and green chillies. Saute for few seconds.
2. Add onions and capsicum. Saute on high flame for a minute.
3. Add all the veggies. Mix well adding salt and pepper powder. Saute on high flame continually.
4. Cover and cook till the veggies get cooked. I keep a little crunch and do not fully cook them. Sprinkle little water if needed while cooking.
5. Now add both ketchup and chilli sauce and mix well. Remove from flame.
* You could also add paneer if needed.
* Sauces can be added as per your choice. Add red chilli powder too if you prefer it spicy.
* I did not take step by step pictures as I had no intention of posting this on the blog. But had to post due to many recipe requests. Will add the pictures when I make it next time.