When I was newly married, I hardly knew about cooking blogs nor about food groups on facebook. I relied on asking Amma for recipes and cookbooks like the amchi favourite one by Jaya V Shenoy. I was also lucky to be gifted by few cookbooks by my grandmother’s sister whom I lovingly call Prafulla pachi. 😍
One among them is 99 Delightful dosas by Jayashree Prabhu. I have learned many dosas from the book and this masala dosa is one among them. Never had to try any other recipe for Masala dosa. Comes out perfect each time. 😊
I also take this post as an opportunity to thank my aunt Chandriakka and Prafulla pachi for gifting me many cookbooks during my newly married days. I still treasure them a lot. Thank you! ❤️
Sharing the recipe of masala dosa with all of you. Happy and healthy cooking!
Adapted from the cookbook: 99 Delightful dosas by Jayashree Prabhu
2 Cups raw white Rice
1/2 Cup Urad dal
1/2 Cup Mixed dals (any combination of toor dal, moong dal, chana dal, masoor dal)* check notes
1/2 Cup wheat Semolina/ Rava/ Sooji/ regular upma rava
1 Tbsp Oil
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Hing
Salt to taste
Oil or ghee to cook the dosa
Step by step recipe:
1. Wash well and soak rice along with urad dal and mixed dals for atleast 4 hours.
2. Drain the water and grind with little water to a fine paste.
3. Now add rava, oil, hing, sugar and salt.
4. Mix well so that no lumps are formed and keep for fermentation overnight or for 8 to 10 hours.
5. Heat a pan and pour the batter in medium flame. Spread in a circle as big as you can.
Tip: Don’t make the flame high while spreading the dosa. Spread on medium flame and then increase the flame to high while cooking the dosa.
6. Cover and cook till the surface cooks. Add ghee or oil. Place the potato bhaji in the center of the dosa. Fold and serve. Repeat the same with the rest of the batter.
* You can add any varieties of dals in the mixed dals among chana dal, moong dal, toor dal and masoor dal. I add whichever is available in my pantry.
* For the bhaji,
# Pressure cook potatoes. Peel and mash them.
# Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add Jeera, hing, green chillies, fry little. Then add tumeric powder along with mashed potatoes.
# Add little water and salt. Cook till the mixture turns dry. Garnish with coriander leaves.
(You can also add sliced onions to this bhaji if desired)
* For making perfect dosas, always spread the dosas on medium flame, then make the flame high and cook till it till done.
* For crispy dosas, cook till the underside browns completely.
* I usually make simple coconut chutney with this dosa. Just grind together Coconut, ginger, green chillies with salt to a smooth paste. Season with mustard seeds and curry leaves spluttered in oil.