Even though I bake Whole wheat bread at home , there are times when we do order bread along with grocery if we feel like I need a break with all the cooking and baking. And when we do get bread from the stores, I make this toast as an evening snack and we all love it.
This is a healthier version of bread pakoda which is deep fried. Also, this batter has sugar in it as we love it with a hint of sweetness too.
Hope you all try and love it. I know how difficult it is to get a good healthy recipe idea for evening time. Hence sharing with all of you. Happy and healthy cooking!
4 Slices of bread
1/4 Cup Besan/ chickpea flour
1 Tbsp Rava/ Semolina/ Sooji
1 tsp Red chilli powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
2 tsp Sugar
Salt to taste
Oil to fry the toast
Step by step recipe:
1. Take Besan, rava, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin seeds, sugar and salt in a bowl.
2. Add little water and mix till there is no lumps. DON’T add a lot of water at once as it will lead to lumps. Add little by little to make a smooth and slightly thick batter.
3. Heat little oil in a pan. Apply a spoon of this batter over bread and place it on the pan on the side where the batter is applied.
4. Now apply batter on the plain side as well.
5. Cook both sides on medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour.
6. Serve hot with ketchup.
* Don’t make the batter very thick nor thin. It’s should be spreadable but not runny.
* Also don’t spread the batter thick over the bread. Just a single layer would suffice. Else it won’t cook well and inside will have raw batter.
* This toast like all others is best enjoyed when hot.
* If you don’t like the flavour of besan too much, you can make the batter with equal amounts of besan and rava ( 2 Tbsp each).