Pumpkin is a common vegetable in our home as we love making simple upkari (stir fry konkani style) with it to go with our matta rice congee (gruel) for dinner. It’s a simple soul food that we enjoy during week days. Kids too love pumpkin very much.
Along with upkari, I also make this soup regularly specially as evening snack for kids. It is filling, tasty and very healthy. Also since pumpkin is thick in texture, there is no need to add any thickening agent like corn flour or cream to this soup.
It not only turns thick but also delicious to slurp on. Orange juice gives it the tangy flavour and also the gorgeous colour. Hope you all try it too. Happy and healthy cooking!
2 Cups peeled and chopped Pumpkin
1/2 Cup peeled and chopped Carrot
1/2 Cup chopped Onion
1/4 Cup freshly squeezed Orange juice
3 Green chillies
1 Tbsp Butter
1/2 tsp Pepper powder
Salt to taste
Step by step recipe:
1. Add the pumpkin pieces, carrots, onions and green chillies with little water in a pot and cook till the veggies turn soft and water almost evaporates.
2. Grind to a fine paste adding water only if needed.
3. Pour into the pot and add water to bring it to pouring consistency (use water to clean the mixer). Add butter, salt and pepper powder.
4. Mix well and add orange juice. Bring to a boil.
5. Remove and serve hot.
* Skip orange juice if you don’t have and add lemon juice instead after removing from flame to get the tangy flavour.
* You can garnish with cream too if needed but we prefer it plain.
* Enjoy with bread croutons or crisps.