Paanak is a drink made at temples and homes on the occasion of Ram Navami celebrating the birth of Lord Rama. I remember how I used to wait for this drink when they distributed at our local temple at Katapadi and the flavour is still afresh in my memories. That flavour is difficult to recreate at home just like all temple foods as they are filled with divinity.
At my house, I make Paanak for Ram Navami and along with that, it’s a regular during the summer months here in Qatar. We don’t drink carbonated drinks and this is a healthy replacement. When my husband comes back tired after work, Paanak makes him refreshed.
Hope you all try this drink too!
1 large block or 2 small blocks of Jaggery (about a cup of powdered jaggery)
1 large Lemon or to taste
1/2 inch Ginger, grated
1/4 tsp Pepper powder
1/4 tsp Cardamom powder (optional)
A few leaves of Tulsi / holy basil leaves
Step by step recipe:
1. Melt jaggery with little water in a vessel. (Just melt, don’t make it into a syrup.)
2. Strain to remove any impurities. Now let it cool down.
3. After cooling down, add lemon juice, grated ginger, pepper powder, cardamom powder. Also add little more water to dilute the juice as per your taste.
4. Now add Tulsi leaves on top and refrigerate till it cools down.
5. Strain using a sieve and serve chilled. Enjoy!
* Refrigerate the remaining drink and sieve and use when needed.
* You can skip Tulsi leaves if not available but it adds a wonderful flavour and also good for health.
* You can add all ingredients to taste as there is no specific measurement while making this.
2 thoughts on “Paanak | Jaggery Lemonade”