As I have mentioned earlier, Saturday used to be our “eat out” dinner day. So Amma always made this pulao for lunch so that there are no leftover curries and we can order properly from the restaurant 😁. Though sometimes she added beans too to the pulao mostly she made only carrot pulao which tasted so yummy that me and my brother used to wait for Saturdays.
The pulao did not require any side dish and we enjoyed hot pulao as it is. I still remember how aromatic it was and Amma used to serve them lovingly onto our plates. 😍
Now that I think of it, childhood was really the best part of our lives. We were in so much hurry to be a grown up and did not realise that being a kid and getting pampered is really amazing. Now that my daughter says she wants to be a grown up like me, I tell her, don’t hurry my love, enjoy your childhood. 😊
Here’s sharing the recipe. My family loves this pulao and hope your family likes it too. Happy and healthy cooking!
2 Cups White rice/ Basmati rice
3/4 Cup finely chopped Carrot
1 medium sized Onion, thinly sliced
1/2 inch Cinnamon stick
Few broken cashews
1 tsp Red chilli powder
1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp Ghee/ Oil
To grind into a fine paste:
6 to 7 sprigs of Coriander leaves
6 to 8 mint leaves
3 green chillies
3 Garlic pods
1 inch Ginger piece
Step by step recipe:
1. Wash well and soak the rice for about 15 mins to an hour if you have the time.
2. Take all the ingredients to grind in a mixer and grind to a smooth paste.
3. Heat oil or ghee in a pan and add thinly sliced onions along with cashews and cinnamon. Saute till they turn light brown.
4. Add the ground paste to this and cook for 5 mins till the raw smell goes away.
5. Add chopped carrots. Mix well.
6. Now add 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder. Mix well.
7. Now add rice and mix well. Saute for two mins.
8. Add salt and hot water till it immerses the rice completely. Now cover and cook on medium flame till the rice cooks completely. Check in between if it requires water.
9. Serve pulav hot with raita, pickle or curry of your choice.
* You can add more veggies to this to make Vegetable pulao but I love this pulao with only carrots just like how Amma made.
* You can skip mint leaves if you don’t have. Amma never added it. I add it as we have mint growing in our garden. So add it in every dish possible.