This salad recipe is so simple that I thought twice before adding on the blog wondering if anyone would actually even look at this recipe. But then I thought, even if one person benefits by it, then the blog is worth it. So here is sharing the easiest salad recipe ever and definitely very healthy too since it has so many vegetables in it. ❤️
My kids are huge fan of this salad and this whole bowl that you can see above is finished mostly by them only. They enjoy it as it is and then add puffed rice or Bhel to it, calling it “Charmbure Upkari” or Bhel Puri in Konkani. Whatever they call it, I am very happy that all these vegetables go into their tummy without a fuss. ❤️
When I was a child, my grandmother used to make a simple salad with just tomatoes, onions, green chillies and coriander leaves. After a while of making it, it would leave water due to salt in it and I used to love to slurp that water. 😍 Now my son is the same. The water left by the salad is reserved only for him and he enjoys drinking it. Like mother, like son. ❤️❤️
Today, I also want to share a glimpse of my mother’s window which is her view of the outside world. Suffering from muscular dystrophy in her legs, she’s mostly sitting on her bed and this window is her best friend which offers her beautiful views of mother nature, the gleaming sky, different varieties of birds and butterflies, also of cows grazing. This picture was clicked by Amma today. Isn’t it beautiful! ❤️
Also, here is a picture of a pigeon, one among the many who come to visit Amma. How sweet is that! 😍
During my vacations, I used to lie on this bed, chatting with Amma while looking outside at nature, enjoying the beautiful scenery. Major missing since close to two years now. But really happy that Amma has this window as her friend, which makes her feel close to nature, even from within her room. That’s so blissful! ❤️
On this note, here’s sharing the recipe with all of you. Hope you all try it too. Happy and healthy cooking! ❤️
2 English Cucumbers (about 2 cups chopped Cucumbers)
1 medium sized Carrot (1 Cup grated Carrot)
1/2 Cup grated Cabbage
1/4 Cup finely chopped Capsicum
3 Lettuce leaves, chopped into small pieces
1 medium sized Onion
1 medium sized Tomato
3 Tbsp finely chopped Coriander leaves
2 Indian lemon or to taste
1/4 tsp Cumin powder
Salt to taste (I use rock salt/ kaala namak)
Step by step recipe:
1. Get all the veggies for the salad ready. I love to keep everything set at first so that I don’t forget any of the Vegetable and also love how colourful it looks. 😍
2. First chop the cucumbers into small pieces and add to a large mixing bowl. Then peel and grate carrots, finely chop cabbage, capsicum, onion and tomato. Make small pieces of lettuce and add to the bowl too.
3. Now add lemon juice along with salt, cumin powder and coriander leaves. Mix well and serve.
* If using Indian cucumbers, it will need peeling and removing the core. Since I used English Cucumbers, I do not peel it.
* You can skip any Vegetable in this if you don’t have. I add as per what I have available.
* You can also add green chillies or pepper powder. I skip both as I make for my small kids.
* This salad acts a good base to make Mixed Vegetable sandwiches. Just take little of this salad and mix either hung Curd or cream cheese along with little tomato ketchup. Mix well and spread between bread slices. Toast on a pan and delicious sandwiches are ready.
* Also you can use this salad to make Mixed Vegetable Bhel Puri. Just take a little of this salad and mix in red chilli powder to taste along with little curd, puffed rice/ Bhel and Bhujiya/ Sev. Add Date Tamarind chutney too if you have.
* These are the other Salads that I make regularly:
2 thoughts on “Mixed Vegetable Salad | Simple salad recipe”
I add crisp apple, pineapple , pomegranate , boiled corn, segments of mosambi. Whatever is available. A spoon of honey with the lime in the dressing. Sometimes boiled beans – rajma/alsande/chickpeas.