Being newly married, I was always conscious of my husband’s food preferences and I saw that he always chose Schezwan fried rice over regular one when we ate out. So I had to try it at home and perfect it till he says it tastes exactly like restaurant ones.
And it is not really that easy to impress him and that’s how I improved with every try. Finally when he did say that the Schezwan fried rice tastes perfect, he said it tastes even better than restaurant ones. It made me feel happy and out of the world.
So I had to share this recipe and here I am. Love how the colour turns out gorgeous even without store bought Schezwan sauce.
Homemade with love ♥️ Happy and healthy cooking!
2 Cups long grain White rice
1/2 Cup Carrots, finely chopped
1/2 Cup Capsicum, finely chopped
1 medium sized Onion, finely chopped
1/4 Cup spring onion bulbs, finely chopped
1 inch Ginger piece, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3 green chillies, finely chopped
6 to 8 Kashmiri red chillies (long variety) – or to taste
1 Tbsp Tomato ketchup
1 tsp Pepper powder
2 Tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
1 tsp Vinegar
Spring onion greens, for garnish
Step by step recipe:
1. Cook white rice till almost done and the grains are still separate.
2. Soak red chillies in warm water for 10 mins or more time if you have.
3. Grind the red chillies with little water to a semi coarse paste like shown. Keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a large wok and add ginger, garlic and green chillies. Saute till they turn brown in colour.
5. Add spring onions and onions. Saute till onions turn brown.
6. Now add capsicums and carrots. Saute on high for five mins.
7. Add tomato ketchup, pepper powder and salt. Mix well.
8. Next add the red chilli paste and saute for five mins more till the paste cooks.
9. Now add the cooked rice and mix till the rice mixes well with the Schezwan sauce. Take care to do so gently as else the rice grains may break.
10. Add vinegar and garnish with spring onions. Serve hot!
* For plain Vegetable fried rice, skip the red chillies paste. Rest process is the same.
* Don’t overcook the rice or you will get a mushy fried rice. Cook till almost done, drain and keep the lid open so that it stops cooking in the steam.
* You can also use leftover rice for this recipe as long as it is not over cooked.