I am always on the lookout for healthy cake recipes and so far have had great success in baking with wheat flour, ragi flour and oats. I add jaggery powder in all the cakes and it tastes so good that you can never say it’s a jaggery cake.
I have already shared the yummiest whole wheat chocolate banana cake recipe and Ragi Chocolate cake recipe. So here is another healthy cake with the goodness of the superfood oats and dates in it. This is also a wheat jaggery cake.
When I first made the cake, I could not believe that Oats in a cake could taste so yummy. But you could never say it has oats in it. The dates and milk hides the nuttiness quite well. In fact so well that my kids never know that it’s actually a healthy cake.
This cake is a perfect example that healthy food can be delicious too. The exact principle on which I started writing this blog. Hope you all try this cake. Happy and healthy cooking!
1 Cup = 240 ml
3/4 Cup Whole wheat flour/ Atta
3/4 Cup Instant Oats
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1/4 Cup Jaggery powder or brown sugar or cane sugar or regular sugar
Around 20 Dates (Deseeded and roughly chopped)
1 1/2 Cups Milk
1/2 Cup (113 grams) Butter
1 tsp Vanilla essence
Step by step recipe:
1. Soak the chopped dates in hot milk for an hour.
2. Measure 3/4 Cup Instant Oats in a bowl.
3. In the same bowl, sieve together whole wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix everything well.
4. Melt butter in a bowl and add the dates- milk mixture to this. Also add vanilla essence.
5. Add the dry flour mix to this and mix till the flour specks can’t be seen.
6. Add 1/4 Cup Jaggery powder to this and mix everything once. Do NOT overmix.
7. Preheat the oven for 10 mins at 180 C. Line the cake pan with parchment paper. Else with oil or butter. Pour the batter into the pan.
8. Bake at 180 C for 30 to 35 mins. I baked for 30 mins and then checked. Since the inside had to cook a little but the top surface had baked, I covered with parchment and baked for 5 mins more.
9. Allow it to cool completely. Invert onto a plate. Slice and enjoy!
* Since every oven is different, keep an eye after 20 mins into baking time so that the cake doesn’t burn.
* Towards the last 5 mins, cover the cake pan with a parchment paper/ aluminium foil and bake so that the top surface does not form a crust.
* You can use any dates for this recipe but the soft ones work best. You can even grind them with little milk if you don’t like the bite of dates in your cake.
* Butter can be substituted with oil but I personally love butter in my cakes as oil cakes does not taste good after a while.
* This cake lasts well for a week if refrigerated and handled well.
If any doubts, do message me on my Facebook page Healthy cooking with mithaor on my Instagram handle and I would be happy to help. Happy cooking!
You can check all my healthy cakes and cookies recipes in this page:
Healthy Cakes and Cookies Collection
Did you know Oats is such a versatile ingredient, you could make Cake, Idli, Paratha, varieties of dosas and even gluten free pizza with it?
Sharing all varieties of dishes in which I use Oats and make regularly. Eat healthy, be happy. ❤️
Oats Recipes Collection
Editing to add: You can also bake them as cupcakes. I baked then for my kids’ snack box to school and they turned out amazing. Perfect for the little hands to handle. Just use the same measurement and bake at 180 C for 25 to 30 mins or till done. The measurement yields 12 medium sized cupcakes.
19 thoughts on “Dates and Oats cake”
Tried this recipe today! Loved it! Came out very good.
Thank you for letting me know dear. Glad it came out well.
Can I use multigrain oats for this?
I am not sure as I have not used. But if it’s not instant oats, its better to powder and use in the cake for better texture.
Tried this cake today n came out soo yummy..my family loved it..Thank you n stay safe..
Thank you so much for letting me know. Glad it came out well and your family loved it which is most important. You too stay safe and take care.
Can I use steel cut oats powder instead of instant oats?
Yes, you can.
Tasted nice. But a bit dense. i thought the batter was more wet than what yours looks in the pic.
Wish i cd show you a pic of mine.
Hello, do message me with the picture on Facebook or Instagram in the name “Healthy cooking with Mitha”. This cake definitely comes out very soft but yes, denser than maida based cakes. If you have never made wheat/oats based cakes before, you will feel it dense.
Wetter batter is fine as it depends on the flour brand too. Just that the batter should not be very dense.
Can I use ghee instead of butter/Oil?
Yes, use ghee in the same quantity.
can you use gluten free flour instead of whole wheat flour
I have not substituted wheat
flour with gluten free flour yet.
Turned out good the first time i made couple weeks ago. Making again today! 💕
So good to know this. Thanks for letting me know. I too made it as cupcakes two days back. Love it. ❤️