I have been mentioning in my posts that my kids are avid dosa lovers. That is the reason I have been posting so many dosa recipes here. All of these have been tried by me and tested on my kids (😂). I am sharing only dishes which they have loved and I keep making often.
After Mixed dal dosas with rice, here is another delicious dosa with no rice and uses Oats instead. And no, you can never say it has oats in it. I love how well it ferments and the dosas turn out porous and soft.
Hope you all try and like it too, importantly your kids like it too. I thank my friend Trinita Rebello for requesting this recipe.
Ingredients: (Makes about 8 dosas)
1 Cup Instant Oats
1/4 Cup Urad dal
1/4 Cup Moong dal
1/4 Cup Toor dal
1/4 Cup Chana dal
1/2 tsp Hing/ Asafoetida powder
Salt to taste
Oil or ghee while cooking the dosa
Step by step recipe:
1. Wash well and soak the dals for atleast 4 hours.
2. Grind along with instant oats to a fine paste.
3. Pour in a large steel vessel and add salt and hing.
4. Keep for fermentation overnight or for 8 hours.
5. Mix the batter once. Heat a dosa pan and add a ladle full of dosa batter. Spread in a large circle.
Note: If the pan is very hot, you can’t spread it well. So make the flame medium while spreading and then turn it high when the dosa is cooking.
6. Cover and cook for a minute till the top surface looks cooked well. If you love crispy dosas, add oil or ghee and cook a little more till the dosa looks brown.
7. Repeat the same with the rest of the batter.
* This dosa does not taste like regular dosas and has the dal flavour. So make a little batter first time and see if your kids like it before making a huge batch.
* Refrigerate the remaining batter if any.
* Skip any dal if you don’t have. I usually don’t have chana dal. So I make dosas with the rest of the dals and oats.
* This dosa is very filling due to the addition of dals and oats. Even two dosas keeps you full for long time.
* Serve it with a spicy chutney like this Amma’s Tomato chutney. Tastes amazing.
* My kids are a huge fan of this dosa with honey. You can try that for your kids too if they are above 1 year old.
* Even though it’s the same with any kind of dosas, but I insist these dosas should specially be had hot for best taste.
* If you don’t have oats, you can make mixed dal dosas with rice too like I have made here.
* I have served it with coriander leaves chutney. For the chutney, I grind coconut with ginger, green chillies, coriander leaves, salt, little tamarind with water to a smooth paste. This chutney does not require seasoning.