Although I don’t like making sugary sweets, this one is an exception as it is my kids’ favourite. So instead of store bought sweets where you don’t know what goes into it, I make coconut burfis for them.
These burfis are very easy to make and will hardly take 15 mins if you have desiccated coconut in hand. I always have it in my pantry as we use a lot of coconut in our cuisine. So it’s easy to make when the kids demand.
I thank Asha Mai a lot for her wonderful recipe from her amazing cookbook. Have made this countless times and each time, I thank her whole heartedly!
RECIPE: ( Adapted from The Konkani Saraswat Cookbook by Asha Satish Philar)
2 1/2 Cups grated Coconut ( fresh/ desiccated)
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Cashews
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 tsp Cardamom powder (optional)
Ghee to grease the pan
Step by step recipe:
1. Grind cashews with milk to a fine paste. Even if little pieces of cashews are left, it’s ok.
2. In a pan , add coconut, sugar and the cashew milk.
3. Start mixing on a medium to low flame. Be careful to keep the flame low, else it might burn.
4. Keep mixing till sugar melts and the mixture combines well. Takes about 8 to 10 mins. Add cardamom powder.
5. Grease a pan with ghee and add the burfi mixture to the pan. Flatten the surface. Cut and serve.
* I have always made these burfis with desiccated coconut and they taste very good with it.
* The mixture is very soft initially but sets well after an hour.
* Refrigerate the remaining pieces.
6 thoughts on “Coconut burfis | Easy recipe”
Desicated coconut comes Sweetened and Unsweetened. Please clarify this.
I would like to try this simple recipe!!
I use unsweetened desiccated coconut for this recipe.