As a kid, I used to wait for Amma to make these tomato omelettes for me from leftover dosa batter. I loved a lot of tomatoes in them and Amma used to purposely give the omelettes which had the most tomato pieces to me and take the less ones for herself. Such is a mother’s selfless love and I understand it now being a mother myself.
These can be made even without the leftover batter by just adding the flours and mixing. I realised it during my pregnancy when I was craving for them a lot and did not have leftover batter. Quickly mixed this batter and there came out these beautiful tomato omelettes with Amma’s love in every bite.
Dedicate this post to you Amma. Love you very much 😍😘
2 Cups Besan/ chikpea flour
1 Cup Rava/ wheat semolina
1/2 Cup Rice flour
2 large Tomatoes
1 medium sized Onion
3 green chillies
2 Tbsp Coriander leaves
Salt to taste
Step by step recipe:
1. Take the besan, rava and rice flour in a large mixing bowl. Add salt too.
2. Now slowly add little by little water and whisk till it’s free of lumps and you get a smooth batter of slightly thick consistency.
Note: If you have leftover dosa batter. Add that to the dry flours and then add water as needed.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, onions, green chillies and Coriander leaves.
4. Mix well.
5. Heat a dosa pan and pour a ladle of this batter onto it. Cook on medium flame.
6. When the surface cooks, add oil or ghee and flip to cook for a minute.
7. Remove and repeat the same with the rest of the batter. Enjoy them hot with butter or chutney.
* If using leftover dosa batter, add at step no 2 along with water to make a smooth batter.
* Do add loads of tomatoes and onions for a wonderful bite to these Omelette.
* You could also prepare this batter and refrigerate the previous night for breakfast the next day.