We are getting fresh cherries here and after eating them as it is and making this Cherry Jaggery compote, it was time to use them in my favourite way – the baking way. The muffins came out beautiful and tasted so delicious that I have already made them thrice this month.
The best part about these muffins is its healthy and uses ingredients like wheat flour, jaggery and cherries. You can enjoy them guilt free. My kids love them as a mid meal snack.
Also, this recipe is great for basic wheat jaggery cupcakes for which I get lots of requests. So just skip cherries and you get plain cupcakes as shown below.
You can give them to babies above 6 months old. I started these healthy muffins for both my kids since 6 months and they love it now, much more than store bought maida ones. Wheat muffins might be denser but definitely flavourful and so tasty.
Hope you all try and love it too. Happy and healthy baking!
1 and 1/2 Cups Wheat flour or Atta (I use Pillsbury brand)
1 tsp Baking soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Cup Milk, at room temperature
1 Cup powdered Jaggery
1/4 Cup Ghee
1/4 Cup chopped Cherries (fresh or candied)
1 tsp Vanilla essence
A few quartered cherries for garnish (optional)
Step by step recipe:
1. Preheat the oven at 180 C for 10 mins.
2. Sift the dry ingredients together using a sieve in a mixing bowl. Keep aside.
3. Add milk and jaggery in a large mixing bowl. Whisk well to melt jaggery in the milk.
4. Now add ghee, vanilla essence and chopped cherries. Mix well.
5. Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
6. Now mix both using a spatula just so that the wheat flour specks are not seen. Do NOT overmix the batter as it will lead to dense cake.
7. Now pour the batter into greased muffin tray till three fourth of the level. Garnish with quartered cherries (optional).
8. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 15 to 20 mins in the center rack of the oven till a toothpick inserted in the center most muffin comes out clear and not wet.
9. Allow it cool. Remove and serve.
* This lasts well at room temperature in an air tight container for a day. Then refrigerate and microwave before serving.
* I always use Pillsbury wheat flour for my bakes and they come out perfect and delicious.
* If jaggery is not fine powder, then sieve and add into the milk. Jaggery can be substituted with brown sugar or cane sugar or regular sugar.
* Cherries can be substituted with any berries or you can skip it completely for plain muffins. This is how perfect plain wheat jaggery muffins comes out too.
* Do NOT overmix the batter. Else it will lead to dense muffins. Just mix together so that wheat flour specks are not seen and that is enough.
* Don’t forget to preheat the oven for 10 mins atleast before placing the muffin tray.
* It took my muffins exactly 15 mins to bake perfectly. But it might vary according to your oven. So keep an eye after 12 mins but do NOT open oven door before that.
I have tried to note down as much points as possible so that it’s easy for you all to follow but if you still have any doubts, either comment here or message me on my Facebook page Healthy cooking with mitha or on my Instagram handle and I would be happy to help.