My Dosa Corner page is proof for our Dosa love. It has 35 Dosa recipes as of now (just back from counting 😀) and here is the 36th variety of dosa – Our favorite and a dosa which I make most regularly, Methi dosa. ❤️
Methi or Fenugreek seeds when soaked and if the soaked water is used while grinding the dosa batter yields really delicious dosas. Also, is very beneficial for our body. I have been making different kinds of Urad dosas but this one works perfect for me and is a weekly once dosa at our place.
My kids’ can eat these dosas for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner (True dosa lovers 😍😍). Making dosas for them and watching them enjoy it is my happiness. ❤️
Hope you all try and enjoy these dosas too. Happy and healthy cooking! ❤️
Ingredients: Makes about 20 dosas
1 Cup Whole Urad dal (can use split urad too)
2.5 Cups White rice ( I use any regular white rice or parboiled rice)
2 tsp Fenugreek seeds/ Methi (please note it’s the small teaspoon and not tablespoon)
Salt to taste
Ghee to cook the dosa
Step by step recipe:
1. Wash well and soak Urad dal, rice and fenugreek seeds in separate vessels in atleast twice the amount of water for 4 hours.
Note: Do soak fenugreek seeds separately as we won’t be draining the soaked water but will use it while grinding the batter. This gives best texture to the dosas.
2. Drain water from Urad dal and add to the mixer. Now add the fenugreek seeds along with the soaked water.
3. Grind to a smooth paste. Pour into a large vessel.
4. Drain water from soaked rice too and grind it to a smooth paste adding little water as needed. Add this to the Urad dal paste. Mix well adding salt.
5. Keep it covered to ferment for about 8 hours at room temperature.
6. Heat a dosa pan and spread a ladle full of dosa batter into a circle.
7. Cover and cook till the surface cooks. Add ghee on top and sides.
8. Flip and cook for crispy dosas. Else you can just cook one side, fold and remove the dosas. Serve with a chutney of your choice!
* I have served this dosa with Hotel Style Tomato Chutney. Tastes really delicious with this chutney.
* Leftover batter can be refrigerated and used for two to three days.
* Please do soak fenugreek seeds in a separate container and do not discard the soaked water while grinding. Use it as it is very healthy and will also give a great texture to the dosa.
* You can also make dosas within an hour of making this batter as it still turns soft and tasty. I make it when my son craves for dosas and the batter is just ground. He loves it.
* Soft dosa lovers can make the dosa thick and cook only one side. Crispy dosa lovers can make the dosa thin and cook both sides till crisp.
* You can check all my Dosa recipes (35 Dosa recipes): Dosa Corner
* All my No rice Dosa recipes: No rice Dosa recipes Collection
* Chutneys which we love: Chutney recipes
Update: I have been getting doubts that will 2 tsp methi seeds make the batter turn bitter. Please note that it’s teaspoon which is the small spoon and not tablespoon measurement which is the big spoon. So the batter won’t be bitter at all. Just don’t discard the soaked methi water which gives this dosa it’s softness, flavour and also good for our health.
3 thoughts on “Methi dosa | How I make my dosa regularly | Kids’ Favourite dosa”
Thanks for sharing the tip that these dosas can be made immediately, too. I had no idea and that’s really convenient.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yes, due to the soaked methi water, these dosas can be made instantly too and still tastes soft and good. Glad the tip turned out useful for you.
LikeLiked by 1 person