Qatar is hosting FIFA football tournament which starts in couple of days and will last a month. So the kids are having vacation till New year and both of them are so happy to get this break (from waking early and homeworks 😄). So to celebrate this holiday time, I wanted to make something special for my daughter who loves it when I cook her favorites, so made this Soya Chunks Pulao for lunch today to surprise her. ❤️
This Pulao is her all time favorite and she always enjoys extra helpings of it when I make it. I learnt this recipe from my husband’s aunt during my newly married days and this is a regular at my place since then, specially on husband’s lunch box days. With raita and a pickle on side, this is a healthy, delicious meal. ❤️
Also, before I forget, it’s a one pot, easy to make Pulao too with very simple ingredients. It’s simplicity is what makes it truly yummy. I have tried many soya chunks rice recipes but this is what we love the most. ❤️
Hope you all try and love it too. Happy and healthy cooking! ❤️
1 Cup = 240 ml
1.5 Cups Basmati rice
1 Cup Soya Chunks
1 medium sized Onion
1 medium sized Tomato
6 to 8 Cashews
2 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
2 pods of Cardamom
1 Bay leaf
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Red chilli powder or to taste
2 tsp Garam masala powder
2 Tbsp Ghee
Salt to taste
4 Tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
Step by step recipe:
1. Soak Soya Chunks and rice separately in double the amount of water for about 20 mins. Soya Chunks will swell in size and become soft. Keep it aside.
2. Heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom powder, bay leaf, cashews, onions and tomatoes in the same order. Fry till cashews turn slightly golden, onions and tomatoes cook well.
3. Now add tumeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder. Fry for few seconds.
4. Squeeze the soya chunks out from the soaking water and add along with rice and salt to the pan. Also add about 2 Cups of water. Mix well.
5. Now cover and cook on medium flame till the rice cooks well, turning soft yet the grains remain separate. You might need little more water depending on the quality of rice and the cooking range you use. Once cooked well, remove from flame and add chopped coriander leaves.
6. Mix well. Serve with raita and pickle.
* I use the ratio of 1 Cup Soya Chunks to 1.5 Cups rice which turns out perfectly for me.
* Do remember to soak both the soya chunks and rice separately for atleast 15 mins so that the soya chunks turn soft.
* You can add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies too in the pulav but I skip since my daughter does not like it.
* For Garam Masala, I alternate between different masalas from Catch brand which I love very much. Currently I am using Catch Chana Masala which has a delicious flavour.
* To make Raita, just finely chop onion, tomato, cucumbers, coriander leaves. Add curd/ yogurt, rock salt, amchur powder, jeera powder, little water and mix well.
2 thoughts on “Soya Chunks Pulao | Easy Pulao recipe”
Hi meeetha this is one of the delicious recipe
But I have 1 doubt
Should I soak soya chunks in hot water or normal water?
Hello Pavithra, I have always soaked Soya chunks in regular water only. Since I soak for about 20 mins, it gets really soft. If you want to get it soft quickly, you can soak in hot water too. Thank you so much. ❤️