As my regular readers know already, my kids love dosas and our morning usually starts with any variety of dosa. I have already posted many of them on my Dosa corner page.
Even though I make sure that I always have dosa batter handy for their dosa love, there are some days when it gets over and I am left wondering what to do apart from the Instant Oats Poha dosa that I make always when I don’t have dosa batter.
That is when I started making these oats vegetable bhakris and it was loved a lot by both kids. It hardly takes 15 mins to get the batter ready and it is very tasty and filling. Also a healthy snack option for evenings.
Hope you all try and love it too. Happy and healthy cooking!
2 Cups Instant Oats (I use Quaker or Saffola instant Oats)
1 Cup wheat Semolina/ Rava/ Sooji
1/4 Cup Curd or Yogurt (optional)
3 Cups water or as required
1/2 Cup grated Carrots
1/4 Cup finely chopped Capsicum
1/4 Cup finely chopped Onion
2 to 3 Green chillies or to taste
2 Tbsp finely chopped Coriander leaves
Salt to taste
Oil or ghee to cook the uthappams
Step by step recipe:
1. Take 2 Cups oats, 1 Cup rava, 1/4 Cup curd and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add 3 Cups water and mix well to remove any lumps.
3. Add grated carrots, finely chopped capsicum and onions, green chillies and coriander leaves.
4. Mix well.
5. Heat a dosa pan and add a ladle of the batter. Spread into a thick dosa as shown.
6. Cover and cook till the surface cooks well.
7. Now add oil or ghee. Flip and cook for few minutes.
8. Serve hot with butter and chutney.
* You can skip onion if you want but it gives a wonderful bite and flavour to the bhakri. Don’t skip capsicum though. It’s a main ingredient.
* I sometimes don’t need chutney with it too. Just the bhakri with butter tastes so delicious.
* Don’t spread the bhakri too thick or else it won’t cook inside. Cook both sides very well on medium to high flame.
* I have used instant Oats as it is (without powdering or roasting). You can use rolled oats but it might need powdering.
* You can skip curd if you don’t have. I make without it too sometimes. Does not make much difference.
Do let me know if you have any doubts. Will be a pleasure to help. 🙂