It has been long I have not penned down any recipe on the blog but my husband has been pestering me to not leave this first baby of mine for the next two babies who take up all my time now. So here goes a very easy, simple recipe of Instant Poha idlis.
My 5 year old ( I am sure all kids do that) has this habit of demanding me foods at odd times and not this or that. She’s very clear about her choice. Like one night she came at 8 pm demanding white idlis. No matter how much I explained to her that idlis take soaking, grinding, fermenting, she wanted white idlis as she was having a high craving for them it seems. 😅
So as my mommy brain worked overload, I remembered these Instant Poha idlis by Roopa Bhandary akka. Quickly made it with her favourite chutney and there was a happy girl. My one year old also loved it.
So ever since these idlis have become a regular fare in my kitchen since its a kid approved one (parents know how important that is) and here I am sharing it with all of you.
Hope I can share more recipes. Happy and healthy cooking!
1 1/2 Cup Idli Rava/ Rice Rava
1 Cup thin Poha/ flattened rice
1 Cup Curd/ Yogurt
Salt to taste
Step by step recipe:
1. Take Idli Rava in a mixing bowl.
2. Add poha, curd and salt to it.
3. Mix well and add little water if needed to bring the batter to idli batter consistency.
4. Pour the batter in idli moulds and steam for 20 mins or till done. Serve hot with chutney of your choice.
* This idli does not taste like regular idlis and the texture is also different but definitely a good option when we need to make something quickly as it needs no soaking , grinding or fermenting.
* Use thin Poha and not thick Poha to make these idlis. If using thick Poha, soak it for about 30 mins in the curd and then grind to a fine paste before adding to the idli rava.
* Serve with a delicious chutney and I am sure your family will love it like mine does.
* Here is my Tomato chutney recipe. Goes really well with these idlis.