Being a mommy has turned me into a non stop thinking person about what healthy and yummy food to make for the kids. Yes, kids first and then us. I guess its common everywhere. We always keep our children’s food choices over ours.
My kids take maximum benefit of it and I have to sometimes whip up very quickly for their sudden hunger pangs. It is during this time that our Indian snacks such as bhel come handy. Quick to make and quicker to polish off, a very healthy option as a light but filling evening snack.
The kids too love it very much and I heave a sigh of relief that I won’t get to hear “potta bhook” (I am hungry in konkani) for the next one hour (?? ) atleast. 😄
Hope you all try and love it too. Happy and healthy cooking!
2 Cups Bhel or puffed rice or churmura or kurmura
1/2 Cup Bhujiya or Sev
1 Cup Sweetcorn (steamed for about 10 mins)
1/2 Cup finely chopped Onion
1/2 Cup finely chopped Tomatoes
1/4 Cup thick Curd/ Yogurt (optional)
1 Tbsp finely chopped Coriander leaves
1/2 tsp Tamarind paste
1 Tbsp roasted Peanuts
1 tsp Tomato ketchup
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
1/2 tsp Chat masala powder
Rock salt or regular salt to taste
Step by step recipe:
1. Take a large mixing bowl and add steam cooked sweetcorn, tomatoes, onions, coriander leaves, tamarind paste. Curd is optional but we love the creamy tangy flavour it gives.
2. Mix well. Add chat masala powder, red chilli powder, salt, ketchup and roasted peanuts.
3. Add bhel and bhujiya. Mix well.
4. Serve immediately else the bhel turns soggy. Enjoy with a dash of lemon juice if you feel it needs more tangy flavour.
* The proportions of ingredients are to taste and you can change or adjust as per your taste buds.
* You can also skip any ingredient if you don’t have. This is just an easy to make snack idea which can be made with whatever ingredients you have in your kitchen.
* Do remember to serve immediately. Else the bhel turns soggy.