Mr Google says Khamang means savory, tasty, spicy in Marathi and Kakdi means cucumbers. That’s exactly what this salad is! Savory spicy tasty cucumber salad. I have been making Khamang Kakdi since many years now and it is my 2.5 year old son’s favorite salad. Whenever I make it, he has to eat it as soon as it is done, along with his meal and afterwards, with my meal too. 😅😅 In short, most of this salad goes into his tummy. 😍
My mother will not be pleased to read this, I know, 😅 as she always wants me to eat well. That’s why I keep updating her over voice messages whatever I eat all throughout the day. It makes her happy and she sends all the possible love smileys in the world to show her joy. 😍❤️
We can’t talk for hours like before or video call as her grandkids snatch the phone from me to talk to their “moga mamama” (loving grandma). So we just send voice messages to each other. I give her updates regarding what I am doing every hour and she does the same. Our day starts with good morning to each other and ends with good night kisses. That’s what is called true love, being far from each other physically, yet closest to one another, in thoughts, in feelings and in heart, not separated ever. ❤️
Writing the above line just overwhelmed me to tears and I won’t be able to write anymore.. This girl with loads of thoughts, feelings, memories is never going to change.. ❤️
Hope you all try this easy cucumber salad, Khamang Kakdi. Happy and healthy cooking!
3 regular sized English Cucumbers (or 1 Indian Cucumber)
1/4 Cup Peanuts
1/4 Cup freshly grated Coconut
3 Green chillies
3 Tbsp finely chopped Coriander leaves
Lemon juice from 1 Indian lemon or to taste
Salt to taste
2 tsp Coconut oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
5 to 7 Curry leaves
A pinch of Hing/ Asafoetida
Step by step recipe:
1. Dry roast the peanuts in a pan till it browns. Allow it to cool. Now using a mortar pestle, crush it to a coarse mixture. Keep aside.
2. Take chopped cucumbers, green chillies, coriander leaves and coconut in a bowl. Add salt.
3. Now add the crushed peanuts to this. Also, heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds, add curry leaves and hing. Pour this seasoning over the cucumbers.
4. Add lemon juice and mix well. Do a taste test for salt and also add more lemon juice if you like.
5. Serve with rice meals or enjoy as it is!
* I used English Cucumbers which do not need peeling. If using Indian cucumbers, peel and remove seeds. Then chop and use.
* You can make ahead and keep at room temperature. Maybe add salt later if your cucumber leaves a lot of water after adding salt.
* I also make this Moong dal Kosambari regularly with cucumbers and carrots. You can check that.
* Another Konkani style salad that I make always is Carrot Kismuri.