Baking a cake is very easy. Hardly takes 15 mins to make the batter and then you just have to keep it in the oven to see magic happen. But those 15 mins while making the batter needs to be done precisely. Else the whole recipe can turn a disaster. In my case, post two kids, getting alone time for even 5 mins is difficult, leave 15 mins. Hence baking becomes a rare occasion when the husband is at home.
During Christmas holidays, I got some free time and decided to bake my favourite banana chocolate cake. It really gives me immense pleasure to bake and my free time was spent well. The family loved it and it made me happy to see them devour the cake.
You can never say this is a wheat jaggery cake. I have tasted many chocolate cakes from renowned bakers and this one really matches them in all levels. The cocoa powder and bananas mask the wheat taste very well.
I have used the same frosting that I used for Ragi Chocolate cake and it really takes the cake to another level. Hope you all try the cake and love it. Happy and healthy cooking!
2 Cups Whole wheat flour
1 1/4 Cup powdered Jaggery/ Cane sugar
2/3 Cup unsweetened Cocoa powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1 1/2 Cup hot water
1/2 Cup fully mashed Bananas (ripe ones)
1/2 Cup melted Butter [1 stick or 100 grams] (salted/ unsalted)
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
1 Tbsp Vanilla extract/ 2 tsp Sugared vanilla
For the frosting:
1 Cup full fat Milk
1/4 Cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Cocoa powder
1 tsp Vanilla extract
Step by step recipe:
1. Preheat the oven at 180 C for 10 mins.
2. Meanwhile, sieve wheat flour, cocoa powder and baking soda in a bowl. Add powdered jaggery and mix well. Keep aside.
3. Add mashed bananas, melted butter, lemon juice and vanilla extract in another bowl. Add 1 1/2 Cup hot water and whisk.
4. Now add in dry ingredients to wet ingredient mixture. Mix so that both are combined well and you can’t see any flour specks. Do not over mix.
5. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or with oil/ butter. Pour the mixture evenly into it.
6. Bake at 180 C for 20 to 30 mins. My oven took exactly 30 mins.
7. Remove and check with a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done. If it comes out wet or sticky, it still needs some more baking time.
8. Allow it to cool. Invert and remove the parchment paper.
9. For frosting, combine together milk, cocoa powder, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Whisk well first and then keep on flame.
10. On medium flame, keep whisking continually while allowing it to get thicker (usually takes about 5 mins). Once it gets thick, remove from flame and pour over the cake and spread evenly.
11. Allow the frosting to set for atleast 30 mins before you slice and serve.
* This cake lasts well for a day without refrigerating. After that stays well for atleast 4 days if handled properly.
* Ensure that you use over ripe bananas and mash them well with fork before adding into the cake.
* The cake tastes amazing with the frosting. So don’t skip it unless you want just a plain banana bread for tea time.
* Since it is made of wheat flour, it takes time to bake. So give the cake atleast 20 mins of baking time before checking. Don’t open the oven door before that to ensure even bake.