Pav Bhaji has to be one of my favourite chaats. I have so many memories of Pav bhaji eaten at various joints during our travels to Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Shimla, Gujarat and even in Singapore. I have to try pav bhaji from every place we visit.
While there is Mr husband who loves the pav bhaji I make so much that he never orders them when we eat out and sticks to bhel puri.
Anyhow, ever since I learned how to bake perfect Wheat pav at home, we have hardly had them from outside. Pav bhaji with homemade wheat pav is not only healthy but turns out amazingly delicious. Since we are a paneer loving family, I take it a notch higher and make Paneer Pav Bhaji.
Hope you all try it and love it too. Nothing like homemade food ♥️ Happy and healthy cooking!
1 Cup dry/ fresh/ frozen Green peas (dried ones need to be soaked overnight)
1 Cup Cauliflower florets
1 medium sized Potato
1/2 Cup roughly chopped Carrot
2 Tbsp Butter
1 inch Ginger piece
3 cloves of Garlic
3 Green chillies
1 medium sized Onion
1/4 Cup finely chopped Capsicum
1 medium sized Tomato
1 tsp Red chilli powder or to taste
2 Tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala powder
1 Cup Paneer, cut into small cubes
4 Tbsp Coriander leaves
Salt to taste
1 tsp Lemon juice
For toppings, finely chopped onions, coriander leaves, lemon wedges, butter.
Step by step recipe:
1. Take peas, cauliflower, potato and carrot in a pressure cooker. Pressure cook till very soft.
2. Mash using a potato masher or a ladle till there are no big chunks of veggies. Keep aside.
3. Heat a pan with butter. Add finely chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies. Saute till they give out an aroma.
4. Add finely chopped onion. Fry till it turns translucent.
5. Add finely capsicum and fry for few seconds.
6. Add tomatoes and cook well.
7. Now add pav bhaji masala powder and red chilli powder. Fry till all water evaporates and the mixture turns out dry as shown.
8. Now add the mashed veggies and mix well. Add little water if the mixture is too dry. Allow it to come to a boil.
9. Add paneer cubes along with salt and cook for 5 more mins. After that, check for spices if needed. Add more pav bhaji masala or red chilli powder if needed.
10. Now add lemon juice and coriander leaves. Mix well. Done.
11. Serve along with pav and top with onions, coriander leaves and lemon wedges. Add more butter on top.
* You can skip paneer and make regular pav bhaji if you don’t like it but paneer Pav Bhaji is a delight for paneer lovers.
* Pav bhaji masala can be added as desired as per your taste buds. If unavailable, you can add any garam masala powder.
* Cook the veggies really well for a smooth texture of pav bhaji.
* Butter gives a wonderful flavour. So I recommend using butter to cook.
* I make Homemade wheat pav for pav bhaji. You can try too.